Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Medicine-Head, Logger.com, & Dog Hysterics

I was googling this site to log in and ended up at logger.com. Didn't realize there was such a thing, but to each their own. I've been sick the last few days and finally decided that I needed a day off of work. While yesterday was nice, and my hours and hours of coma-like daytime sleep were needed, I was not totally prepared for today to hit me full blast. Not only did I wake up every. single. hour. of the night last night from approximately 12:30 am on until 6:30 this morning, but I also flew into a whirlwind of leftover paperwork. While I appreciate being kept in the know, the bazillion "FYI" e-mails I received today left me slightly dizzy in addition to my already fuzzy outlook due to my acutely cold-medicined head.

I was on my home this evening and realized that I had become an Eskimo. Apparently heat is no longer necessary for the majority of a car ride home when you've pulled on a $3 dinky ski-cap and skinny Target gloves. I unlocked the door and was greeted by a distinct groan from an irritated puppy. I let her out and was ambushed by a frenzy of squeaking dog toys and lots of leaping around. I sat on the stairs and after the sixth time or so, began shooting video of her throwing her ball from the top of the stairs, racing/falling down the stairs, jumping about when it was retrieved, racing back up the stairs and repeating the process. As much as I love dogs, I don't know if I will ever get used to a foot and 1/2 tall creature zooming around my house, throwing themselves around in a completely deranged hysteria. She's of course sacked out after snagging a snippet of toilet paper from the roll in the bathroom.

Anyway, I've been reading bits of things here and there. I tried Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons, which was supposed to be a selection from women's literature, but I just couldn't get over the constant dialouge. Is that what it sounds like when women are together? Landvik's writing was well done but I don't think I am in the right frame of mind at this stage in my life to read that book- great choice for someone who has children or are older.
Also attempted The Stars, My Destination - it's a sci-fi book, totally NMS (not-my-style) and some of it was interesting but I couldn't get past the unlikeable main character. American Wife was another attempt but again, I found it reading too much like Chick-lit.

I opted for a book called The House of Dark Shadows, a young adult book. It read really easily, and was a fun, semi-scary thriller for people like me, who don't love to have nightmares. Basically a teen boy and his brother move to town where nothing happens, they move into a creepy house where weird stuff happens, and they have adventures.

My rave of the week is The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexander Dumas. The writing is kickin' some a** and I love all of the characters, aside from the ones of course that you're supposed to dislike. I saw the movie a few years ago, but aside from the main character Dantes, I've forgotten who's who and that makes it all exciting for me. So, this is my favorite for the time being, reading it on my handy-dandy itouch is helping me get through it in short bursts too. While I do not expect to finish this in one sitting, I am so freaking glad I am not hauling around a massive 1400 page novel. And now back to the show...

No comments:

Post a Comment